Tuesday, July 25, 2006

 
More about format. As in, "Could you tell me how to format it when I have one guy doing this and the other guy does that but it's really all a dream but it happens on the telephone at two locations at once while the TV is on?"

I could tell you how I'd format it, but I'm way too lazy. And you don't want me to format it for you anyway. What are you gonna say? "I did it this way 'cause some guy on the 'net said I should"? Come on.

What you want is to figure it out yourself. Go through the format guides and the books mentioned below. Read a bunch of scripts from movies that have the same kind of scene, and find a way to do it that doesn't confuse the reader, doesn't take up too much space, and reads easily.

"These 'scripts' you talk about, where do I find them?"

Here: www.simplyscripts.com. Pay attention to the difference between scripts and transcripts. Only read scripts.

And BAS v1,v2,v3 mentioned below.

There are also some really cool examples of screenwriting in TV script collections.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer the Script Book, several seasons, several volumes, lots of action like feature scripts, humor too.

The West Wing the Shooting Scripts, Seasons 1 & 2, Seasons 3 & 4, the incomparable Aaron Sorkin.

The Sopranos: Selected Scripts from Three Seasons State of the freakin' art. It don't get no better than this.

I use these books as example 'cause they're usually available at libraries and remainder bins. Sometimes on half.com for a few bucks.

So, check 'em out.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?